Today I encountered a situation that really impacted me. It hit me pretty hard and has left me thinking. Why is it that when someone calls you "dishonest" "untrustworthy", uses the phrase "the likes of you" (in a negative context)... when they question every word that comes out of your mouth... why does it sting so bad? I thought it was because someone said something mean or untrue... but I don't think it was just that.
I think it hurts so bad when things like that are said because it's not something you can change... someone is questioning your character. That is freaking serious. You try so hard to build your character and become a responsible member of society and one person with a few small words can make that come crashing down. Character isn't something you can change over night.
On that same note... I think the reaction of OTHERS in the situation is important. If your character is questioned and nobody stands up for you, I'd start wondering. But if it is questioned and people are bothered (or outraged) by what was said... I think it is safe to say that you have not been knocked down, but others have built you up. You have either taken a fall or you've "proven" yourself. Either way, I'd rather people tell me they trust me than have a situation where I have to prove myself.
So I think the point of this was for me to get my thoughts out and to ask this... what is character to you? Is it just something that people talk about? Is it something that is very important to you? Is it something that you just kind of write off... who cares if someone questions your character, you know the truth!
I'm going to *try* to start a new trend by putting an applicable quote at the bottom of my posts. Due to todays circumstances... I think this one is PERFECT. (tomorrow there will be pictures)
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable. Brennan Manning

2 comments:
The fact that this situation bothers you is a good sign! One's character IS so important (a good name is more desirable than great riches). Have always heard that the thing to do when criticized is to honestly consider the validity of the criticism. If there's ANY merit to it at all, make the necessary changes & if there's no merit to it at all, put it behind and move on. Am not sure that the support of others is always a true indicator. We'll usually be able to find friends/family that will defend our actions regardless. So, bottom line, be honest with yourself and change what needs changed, and let unjust criticism roll off your back. Blessings
You have a beautiful home and heart that no one can take away. Let this roll off your back (I know it ain't easy) be the woman God intended you to be. :-)
Post a Comment