Monday, April 7, 2008

Long time coming...

So... since Riley is coming up on 6 months old, I figured that I should tell you all the story of when Riley arrived. Some stuff is a little bit fuzzy now, but usually Ryan remembers and will correct me.

Let's start with the Friday before... I go to the chiropractor and let him know that there is still no change. 39 weeks and no sign of labor any time soon. He adjusts my back and then goes on to do something else to open up my spine to help the epidural, just in case. However - he was CLEARLY not convinced that I would go in to labor soon, either, since he set up my next 3 appts for the next week. I went to work that afternoon and felt fine. That evening, Ryan and I took Jack & Benjamin to Vinny's. The waitress was shocked that I was due in just 6 days.

(Friday night after work and taking the boys to dinner... 39 weeks 1 day)

Saturday comes... Ryan and I went to Target to get a few random things. We decided that since my due date was that week, we should probably get all the loose ends tied up since it wouldn't be long until Riley arrived! Pam called that afternoon to see if we could babysit the boys... but we already had plans. Still feeling good. Did TONS of cleaning (not that you could tell because for some reason my house is more of a disaster after we go on a cleaning raid) and rearranged random nonsense. Why I didn't see this as a sign, I'm not sure.

Sunday morning... little bit of spotting. I was nervous at first, but also relieved. Finally... FINALLY something was happening! We head to church where I got of the, "You're STILL here?" and "You look ready to be done!" "No baby yet?" questions/comments. Yes ding dongs... I'm 9 months pregnant. I have this belly that reaches my knees, I'm huge. I was tempted to answer with responses such as, "Actually, she was born this week and wasn't really all that cute, so I put her back in to keep cooking. Hoping she comes out a bit cuter!" Seriously - never ask a pregnant woman those things. She's already well aware of them.

That afternoon our friend, Andy, calls us up and says that there are some cars he wants to go check out, did we want to go? YES! YES, I do! I was ready to walk around - maybe this kid would get the hint that in 4 days, it was eviction day. I just wanted to give her a friendly warning to start packing her bags. We went to 5 car lots and walked around - luckily they were all closed, so we got to walk a ton w/o being harassed. I talked to my mom for a while on the phone... asked if she wanted me to call when we were leaving for the hospital, got to the hospital, or after I was admitted. We joked that we both knew it wouldn't be necessary. We were all convinced that I'd be induced at 42 weeks. When we got home, I felt the urge to clean out our night stands and do ALL of the laundry in the house. Um hello nesting! I talked to my friend Amy at about 5:00 p.m. and told her that I kept getting these weird feelings and joked that maybe they were contractions, but probably not. I would CERTAINLY know if I was having contractions. Around 11 p.m., Ryan headed to bed. I played online and chatted w/ some friends on IM and on the message board. Around 2 a.m., I headed to bed.

I was just uncomfortable. I would doze for about 5 minutes and just kept waking up in discomfort. Nothing I could pinpoint, but it sucked. At 4 a.m., I'd already watched several shows and turned on a movie... I decided I'd get a nice hot bath to see if that would help. Well, while I was soaking in there I noticed something. This discomfort was coming and going... and there seemed to be a trend. Those weird feelings were still happening. I laid there thinking, "ok well I remember reading that if you think you're having contractions... get a hot bath. If they go away, not labor. If they keep coming, start timing them." So after a while, I got out and started timing them. Oh crap. They were lasting at least 1 minute and were about 4 - 5 minutes apart. Well there we go. I was in labor and didn't know it. I still wasn't convinced... but thought, "Well... I have all of this laundry going, I HAVE to finish it!" So instead of trying to get some sleep - I went on a rampage trying to finish it. Mind you... I didn't tell Ryan any of this. When he woke up at 7, he was confused as to why I was up. I told him that I thought that it was going to happen soon... so whatever big stuff he had at work, he needed to wrap up that afternoon. We went back and forth and I finally had him almost convinced that I'd be FINE to drive myself to my 40 week dr's appt that morning. And then the contractions got worse. I told him to be done by lunch... I finally conceded and said, "Fine. Call work and tell them you're coming to my appt, but you'll be in afterwards." (This was after my shower where the pain was bringing tears to my eyes - I didn't DARE tell him that!)

To be continued (time for the bedtime routine)...

No comments: